From bar to dot – Data Matrix ECC 200!
One of the leading codes is definitely Data Matrix. Today, this symbology is the first choice for the machine-readable label on small parts. Not only is the publication of DIS 16022 (Draft International Standard) imminent, but in the meantime, diverse organizations have declared their recommendation of Data Matrix (Automotive Industry Action Group AIAG, Electronics Industry Association EIA, SEMI and EDIFICE).
The advantages of Data Matrix are obvious:
- The highest data density = smaller space-requirement
- Virtually any symbol size (scalability) allows adaptation for various uses
- Suitable for nearly all printing processes (from off-Set through to Thermo-Transfer to direct marking by Inkjet or Laser)
- Readability even with low contrasts
- Readability in 360 degree orientation without special equipment
- Alphanumeric and thus customer-specific data settings are encodable
- Possibility of electronic data transfer
- High reading reliability due to automatic error-detection and -correction
It is especially this high flexibility combined with the extremely small space requirement which have attracted the interest of many electronics producers. In this field two processes compete with each other for the creation of the code, namely the labeling and direct inscribing processes (with Inkjet and Laser).